The history of the site is rich and varied and has seen some considerable change over the years. Clearly there will always be people who are resistant to change, but with change in mind there has been plenty in this location!
The original Spanish Battery was built 1545 by King Henry the VIII to protect the mouth of the Tyne and Tynemouth Castle. Unfortunately all traces of the original Spanish Battery are now lost.
The site has always been of importance not least due to its proximity to the mouth of the Tyne.
Grade II listed buildings in the vicinity include the Pier Road volunteer Life Brigade Cottage, The North Pier and the Pier Road Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Watch House (TVLB was the first of its kind in the world and was established in 1846) which is located immediately west of the development site.
Originally the Watch House was intended to be a temporary structure in a temporary location as it was moved inland from its original site.
After the Great War it was recognised that it would be too large a task to move back, so instead, the original building was altered by adding the extra levels to both the North and South towers. This was necessary because of the building’s built upon the proposed development site to ensure a clear view to the water below.
The above image shows a then 'SECRET' image taken by the Luftwaffe during World War I (12/09/1917). The arrow shows the site of our proposed development. As you can see there is an array of buildings on the site including Barrack Blocks.
This is such a fantastic location we feel that the heritage of the area should be shared in a way that we provide education to the younger generation. Many people fail to realise the importance and significance of what lies on their door step. Community engagement will be high on our list of priorities.
Conservation is not 'stagnation', which is why we believe we can make such a significant positive impact.
If you have any stories/unusual facts about the area we would love to hear them. Please email to: